Re: GNUstep on FreeBSD problems

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: GNUstep on FreeBSD problems
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 00:32:43 +0200

Fred Kiefer wrote:

Despite all the clever things I wrote above I just tried your patch and
it horribly fails on my machine. I get lots of "X-Windows error -
BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)" messages all coming from
[XWindowBuffer windowBufferForWindow:depthInfo:]. Looks like Alexander
did what he did on purpose and if we want to change it, we must be much
carefuller then this.

Just a wild guess: Are you using X shared memory? Looking at the source
of windowBufferForWindow:depthInfo: it looks like I didn't check my patch with shared memory (it doesn't work on OS X and one of the advices I found when looking for a solution to get the art backend running with the X- org
server was to turn off shared memory; apparently I haven't turned it on
again though it didn't help).

Most likely the problem goes away, when we change XWindowBuffer to not
use the default screen and visual for the display. Maybe i would just be
enough to use xrContextForScreen: in that class?

This looks reasonable to me.

Wolfgang