Re: problem running apps with cairo backend

From: Krishna
Subject: Re: problem running apps with cairo backend
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 07:46:31 +0530

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 3:03 AM, Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:
> Krishna wrote:
>> However when I run the apps, I get font not found errors. eg:
>>
>> 2008-10-26 09:55:40.763 SystemPreferences[15591] The font specified
>> for NSFont, Helvetica, can't be found.
>>
>> Assuming the cairo backend uses fontconfig I tried `fc-match
>> helvetica` and it returned a valid font (n019003l.pfb: "Nimbus Sans L"
>> "Regular").
>>

> Most likely we are not handling the fontconfig resolution correctly. At
> them moment we are just looping over all the available fonts and use
> calls like FcPatternGetString() to get the information about a font and
> then cache it ourselves. When we then get asked for a font we use our
> own cache to find out which face info to use for it.

so that is why setting the default font to Sans (iirc, it is an alias)
failed too.

> Another option would be to delegate all of this to fontconfig but this
> would require a whole redesign of our font handling. If you are willing
> to do that, I am ready to review it.

Where do I begin? CairoFontEnumerator>>fontWithName: ?

> One simple workaround for this problem is to redefine the default fonts
> in your defaults.

Setting the default fonts to Liberation fonts works.

Cheers,
-Krishna

--
Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic
and totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?