Re: Exception Handling and _NS_COUNT_HACK

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Exception Handling and _NS_COUNT_HACK
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:25:14 +0000

On 28 Oct 2008, at 02:23, Samantha Rahn wrote:

Very helpful! Thanks! I am learning about the handle <signal>
[keywords] commands of GDB. Much appreciated. However, in Excel, the
SIGSEGV *does* get sent after a handful of _NS_COUNT_HACK calls, but
it does *not* result in recover() getting called. Any ideas there?

It occurs to me that it's just possible that you have the same problem as the bug report at https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?24526

While the actual bug in this case is really unconfirmed (it hasn't been reproduced with current code afaik), it does sound like a case of the signal handler not getting called somehow. My only guess is that some other thread could have changed the signal handler in the window between the code setting it and the signal being generated. However, you might want to look at the code and see if you can spot some other possibility that I've missed.

Maybe the simplest thing to do right now would be to add a configure option to disable stack traces, so that anyone whose gcc has this bug in stackframe checking can stop it being used at all.