Re: Cocotron used for a real-world app

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Cocotron used for a real-world app
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 09:34:15 +0000

On 29 Oct 2008, at 09:01, Fred Kiefer wrote:

I think this is not completely true. At least I think that
• Added support for displaying truncated strings.
is still on the list of the thinks to do :-)

I don't even know what this is ... so I can't tell whether we have it or not. However, the other things are clearly features long present in GNUstep.

But all of this is not the point here. This isn't about my system is
more complete then yours, or is it?
We all know that GNUstep has more features implemented than Cocotron, it
also is the much older project. What I still find fascinating with
Cocotron is how it appeals to Cocoa developers that don't want to leave
there original development platform and still deliver applications for
MS Windows. What Cocotron achieved here is unmatched by GNUstep. We
should accept that and try to match this instead of pointing to the
shortcomings Cocotron that has plenty. Why wont somebody sit down and
uses the Cocotron XCode environment to cross compile GNUstep to Windows? I don't see any problem in using their development environment although it isn't LGPL or GPL. As long as we don't mix the source code we should be on the save side. With that done people wanting to port applications
from Cocoa to Windows have a fair choice. And of course I hope they
choose GNUstep as it is the project I develop for and which license I
prefer.
(For this to happen we will still have to work on our UI appearance.
Even with a better foundation and more features people are first
impressed by the look of an application)

Yes ... well, I'm a long time advocate of theming in GNUstep, but we need someone to actually work on it :-( In any case, perhaps you are referring to other appearance glitches etc, I don't know if GNUstep is any worse or better than Cocotron in that respect on windows (better when I looked, but that was quite a while ago).

My feel from reading the blog about this port is, that the issue of completeness is unimportant (GNUstep clearly being much more complete, but a developer only needs the features they want to use, and in a free software project can add minor missing features) and reliability is also unimportant (GNUstep being much more reliable, but a developer only needs bits they want to use to be reliable, and in a free software project can fix minor bugs). It seems that in these areas Cocotron is now 'good enough'.

So I agree with your main point ... the only reason I can see for Cocotron being chosen in this case is that a Mac developer was able to simply use XCode to port to windows, and the obvious way to add that capability to GNUstep is to 'steal' that from Cocotron. Presumably we could take the development environment, hack it a little to support generic unix as well as windows, and provide a MacOS installer package to install it on our web site, so that people could build using XCode for GNUstep on windows and unix-style operating systems.

Is there any Mac based developer out there who'd like to do that?