Re: Cocotron used for a real-world app

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Cocotron used for a real-world app
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 15:03:00 +0100

On 30.10.2008, at 14:09, Nicola Pero wrote:
Possibly. But then they will need to install a virtual machine anyway to test the Windows port ...

Just for clarification: this is *much* less trouble than described. All OSX VMs can expose the local OSX folders to Windows, they even allow calling Windows apps from inside OSX! (eg I think you can configure Parallels to open Word documents using Windows Word if you double click a file).

So the workflow is as simple as 'build in Xcode', then run it. No need to install or 'copy' anything to test builds. I suppose you could even perform the 'run' phase from inside Xcode (not sure whether there is something like open-in-parallels <path>).

Additionally the build system of Xcode is quite a bit faster, can distribute the builds and is more convenient (if you are an OSX developer). (personally I still prefer makefiles, but someone used to Xcode won't understand why he should use them ...)

BTW: cross builds are done all the time on OSX, even just for MacOS. Eg you can build 10.3 binaries on 10.5, or PPC/FAT binaries. Not to mention iPhone applications - which you can even *debug* and profile remotely using Xcode! I assume this (debug/profile) could also be made possible with Cocotron.

But hey, I still like GNUstep make better ;-) And I would *love* to be able to easily build (regular) Windows binaries on MacOS w/o switching to Windows.

Greets,
  Helge
--
Helge Hess