Re: GNUstep and Theming...

From: Krishna
Subject: Re: GNUstep and Theming...
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 01:55:22 +0530

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 1:17 AM, Nicolas Roard <nicolas.roard@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 7:43 PM, Gregory John Casamento
> <greg_casamento@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I just looked at some of the themes from GTK and it seems like, for the
>> themes which are just image substitution, we could write a GNUstep theming
>> engine which would use these.
>>
>> I'm interested in investigating this further as it means we could leverage
>> many of the existing themes which have been created for GNOME/GTK.
>
> Remember though that there's a quite fundamental difference in terms
> of UI and widgets between gnustep and other toolkits -- we generally
> do not resize automatically our widgets. I expect a fair amount of
> themes to give mild results because of this. OTOH, OSX themes should
> be reusable nearly transparently.

IMO, Win32 would be the best place to start theming because the themes
are already done (DrawFrameControl() and the uxtheme library).

As for X11, a single good looking theme (instead of a generic theme
engine) would be better especially to cleanup the issues Fred had
mentioned. The Nimbus[1] theme that is used in opensolaris is a good
looking theme. Last time I checked, the gtk theme implementation uses
pixmaps whereas the java implementation draws using code -- java2d, an
api that is closer to GNUstep's drawing model.

[1] http://www.jasperpotts.com/blog/category/nimbus/

Cheers,
 -Krishna

--
Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic
and totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?