Re: Windows-/KDE-/Gnome-style menus (was: Question about NSMenuView)

From: ZuLuuuuuu
Subject: Re: Windows-/KDE-/Gnome-style menus (was: Question about NSMenuView)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 05:48:06 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 15, 9:34 am, "h...@computer.org" <h...@computer.org> wrote:
> On 15 Jan., 04:24, Markus Hitter <m...@jump-ing.de> wrote:
>

> > Am 14.01.2009 um 22:08 schrieb Fred Kiefer:
>
> > > Getting a menu inside of a window is not that easy. You will have to
> > > hack through NSMenu a bit. If you know what you are doing this is
> > > fine,
> > > but don't expect to get every step explained by this mailing list. We
> > > don't even know, whether you plan to give the resulting code back to
> > > GNUstep.
>
> > To chime in here: I'd love to see Windows-/KDE-/Gnome-style menus as
> > a third option along NeXT- and Mac-style menus. While menus at the
> > top border of each window probably don't match the latest findings of
> > ergonomics, really a lot of people are simply used to it.
> > Additionally, such a feature is essential if one wants to integrate
> > GNUstep applications using menus into one of these desktop environments.
>
> > So please, Germán André Arias Santiago, consider implementing window-
> > hosted menus right into GNUstep's frameworks.
>
> > MarKus
>
> > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> > Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitterhttp://www.jump-ing.de/
>
> Regarding the API there is IMHO a very natural approach:
>
> NSResponder as the abstract superclass defines -setMenu. For
> NSApplication, this obviously sets the main menu. For a NSControl this
> usually sets the context menu.
>
> But for NSWindow it is simply unused - although the iVar already
> exists (inherited from NSResponder).
>
> So the most natural extension would be to add this behaviour for -
> [NSWindow setMenu:]. It may be possible to implement it similar to
> NSToolbar (i.e. add a menu-display subview as a sibling of the
> contentView).
> The key tasks to do are IMHO to add/remove this view dynamically and
> make it redisplay if the menu changes. And, add this to the window
> frame height calculations. And invent a solution how to handle menus
> that don't fit into the width.
>
> Nikolaus

As an end-user, I think one of the most disturbing things about
GNUstep applications on Windows is the seperate menu thing. It is just
not fit in as appearance and it never behaves correctly, it always has
focus issues.

A behaviour like other Apple applications like Quicktime or Safari
would be appreciated. They have a separate menu on MacOS and Windows
like in-window menu on Windows. They also have windows-like maximize/
minimize buttons on Windows. Other parts are unchanged.