Re: First doubts about GNUstep

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: First doubts about GNUstep
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 14:17:27 -0800

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz
<glpunzi@lordzealon.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> El 20/01/2009, a las 21:25, Richard Frith-Macdonald escribió:
>

>> On 20 Jan 2009, at 20:04, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz wrote:
>>>
>>> Secondly, I would like to know what type of persistence use the average
>>> developer, because GDL2, seems "abandoned"?
>>
>> I don't think it's abandoned.

yeah as one of the developers I don't consider it abandoned either,
the wiki page probably isn't an accurate description of its activity,
though It hasn't been that active lately, its also fairly stable, so i
can't speak for the other developers but it is my understanding that
it currently works well for them, I do intend to continue my GDL2 work
at some point

>>> The project I will start will need access to relational databases
>>> (interbase? postgres? mysql?) to share with other instances of the
>>> aplication, and with an alternative web frontend, there are other
>>> alternatives?

I think gdl2 would work fairly well for this, the EOInterface layer
makes developing gui apps fairly nice imo (though i'm not exactly
impartial on that), and it can share the model with GSWeb, so this is
actually a situation where I think gdl2 should work nice.

though the EOInterface stuff as far as i'm aware hasn't really been
used in a production environment, my last commits is the Trading/
directory which contains an example database, and populates it with
data for use in tutorial/example programs,

from there the idea was to do exactly this have a gui and a gsweb
example which work through the same database.
as far as hosting, no you don't need WebObjects 4.5, GSWeb is an
implementation of the webobjects portion of WebObjects 4.5 (which also
contained EOF which  GDL2 is an implementation of), anyhow WebObjects
contains everything needed to connect to apache.

I think there is a bit of a learning curve attached to it though for
people not steming from WebObjects background, so you may want to look
at the GDL2Intro in the sources. I don't see it having landed on the
documentation portion of the website unfortunately.

i've got a video somewhere I can try to find and upload somewhere
which shows developing a gui program with gorm/gdl2 I could upload
somewhere if you are interested.