Re: Can this be ported to GNUstep?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Can this be ported to GNUstep?
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 12:57:12 +0000

On 16 Jan 2009, at 08:09, Fred Kiefer wrote:

We will need compiler support for all these ObjC 2.0 features and I am
not sure for which we already have it, or expect to get it from an
upcoming gcc release.

The latest versions of clang support declared properties. This doesn't require any runtime support unless you also want @synthesize to create instance variables, and so it works on the GNU runtime with exactly the same behaviour as the legacy Apple runtime.

@synchronized, I believe, is parsed, but code generation is not yet implemented for the GNU runtime. This is quite complex, since it relies on exception handling (@synchronized locks are released when the stack is unwound past them) which is still very work-in-progress.

Last time I tried compiling GNUstep with clang the failures were all to do with weird bits of GNU C used in GNUstep, rather than the Objective-C support, and it is already possible to use it for Objective-C programs that link against GNUstep, so it might be an option here soon.

David