FOSDEM Aftermath - the Dev-Room

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: FOSDEM Aftermath - the Dev-Room
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 04:30:14 +0100

Having a Dev-Room has paid of a lot IMHO, since it creates much more intense contacts and lively interest than just those "stop-two- seconds-for-a-flyer-and-ask-or-say-nothing" situations you usually have at a booth/stand. So I would consider having a Dev-Room much more important than having just a stand. And a stand also means more stuff to bring (computers/montitors to display GNUstep, banners, posters, booklets/brochures/flyers or other merchandising like buttons, T-shirts, Live-CDs, cups, stuffed animals … ;-)).

Teaming up seems to ease getting a Dev-Room (this year it was not just the GNUstep Dev-Room but the GNUstep+Etoilé+OpenGroupware.org Dev-Room). I'd do it the same in the future (given of course that Etoilé and OpenGroupware.org don't feel usurped this way)

The size of the Dev-Room was just right (31 seats), it wasn't to large so that it felt empty but sometimes all places were taken and some people had to stand in the aisles.

The time scheduled for the sessions (one hour each) was also just right, most talks were finished after about 45 minutes and there was still enough time to ask questions and get ready for the next session. Having a lunch break on sunday was also just right (sessions on saturday started at 13:00 hours so there was no need for a lunch break then).

But of course there's still room to improve:

- I like the idea of having a moderator as Sebastian suggested.

- As Riccardo says: "The developer room unfortunately doesn't leave much space for communication and hacking, since the stream of talk is pretty much continuous." and Nicolas did second: There was nearly no time for "internal" talks, that means talks or discussions during which GNUstep developers itself talked to each other. While I am all for a presentation and "show and tell" kind of Dev-Room (since this is one of the rare occasions where we can get into personal contact with our users and future users) talking to each other shouldn't be missed out (since FOSDEM is also one of the rare occasions where we meet each other) I have several ideas for this:

a.) having internal talks in the early sunday hours (9:00 to 11:00 when everybody recovers from saturday night). Pro: we won't miss a large audience (since they're most likely still sleeping). Contra: The most GNUsteppers were also not in the Dev-Room until 11 am to 12 am (recovering from the saturday night dinner I guess

b.) having open (moderated) talks on a topic (with audience). I have no idea if this will work. Most likely it is difficult to define topics (for the FOSDEM schedule) before and I doubt it will be very efficient. Helge was holding a BOF (birds of a feather) talk for GroupDAV/CalDAV Implementors and during this several other small, fluctuating groups were discussing several aspects of GNUstep. So it turned out to be a general BOF for different aspects of GNUstep (don't ask me about all the topics that have been discussed during this). I guess that discussions are more productive in such an informal kind of setting. But such a setting is not very inviting for outsiders, they'll only see small groups of people standing around and will have a difficult time to join.

c.) doing it all a day earlier, on friday in the hotel (breakfast room or the like). Quite good time and place to do so since then we're undisturbed. But this would require staying in Brussels a day longer (arriving ideally already thursday evening) which cost more time and money and you may have to take a day off if you got a day job. Ideally we then also have to stay in the same place to avoid needless "getting around and find the others"-mumbo-jumbo.

d.) Having more meetings beside FOSDEM. I for instance have nice memories of the Alpenstep meeting. Let's have that again.

And in the end some organizational notes for the future

stuff which is nice to have for the Dev-Room:

- feedback sheets where attendees of the talks can rate the talks would be a good idea I think
- power cords with multiple plugs
- adaptors, adaptors, adaptors. Don't forget those. For power (every european country has still its own "standard") and to plug your laptop into the projector. Richard had to go to the Apple Store to get one (since he forgot to bring his) and sadly this adaptor was useless in the end since the projectors didn't came with a DVI-input. - one or two Ethernet hubs/switches are useful. FOSDEM did provide WLAN in each room but they didn't got it to work reliably until late Saturday afternoon.
- loudspeakers (for video conferences or sound in the presentations)
- an own projector (FOSDEM does provide some but you never know what you'll get, the first day we had one with a resolution of only 800x600 and a somewhat broken keystone) - If you're going to record the sessions on video, a small digicam should be sufficient. Be sure to have at least two batteries (so you can charge one while using the other) and two memory card (one to record while saving the contents of the other onto your laptop). You also need a small tripod (which can be used on desk - I brought my gorillapod http://joby.com/products/gorillapod/2 ). Recording in 320x240 @ 15fps is the absolute minimum to get somewhat usable video (this is what I did since my digicam allows only for 2GB SD Cards which gave me about 70 to 80 mins recording time) but don't forget that the slides are unreadable at that resolution (even at 640x480 it will be hard to read slides projected at a higher resolution than 1024x768) - a clip microphone to record the speaker would increase the sound quality of the recorded speech by a magnitude - a printer would also be nice (to print brochures/flyers or announcement of last minute talks ;-) but then again there ought to be a b/w laser printer at the front desk (and they let you print stuff if you're friendly and come with a PDF ready to print on an USB stick)

My conclusions:

- having a Dev-Room is more important than having a booth since we get more intense contact. A booth would be a nice addition if we are enough people (but it cost also a magnitude more of effort and organisation and splits us up in two groups) - we should grant ourselves more opportunity for talking to each other. Whether we do this in the Dev-Room (and having less talks this way) or on friday in the hotel has to be discussed.
- Let's have another Alpenstep in late August (it was really nice then)!

what do you think?

thanks,

        Lars