Re: purefoundation is yafi (yet another Foundation implementation)

From: Stuart Crook
Subject: Re: purefoundation is yafi (yet another Foundation implementation)
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 17:06:46 +0100

Hi, all.

I've just noticed this discussion, and since PureFoundation is my fault I though I'd offer a quick explanation.

PF is designed to fix one of the (many, many) problems we have with Darwin, namely that some of the projects are written in Obj-C and use Foundation, despite Apple's Foundation being closed source and missing. This wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't for Darwin's main problem, which is that hardly anything compiles because of a thousand different missing dependencies. So no chance of just rebuilding using GNUStep. However, since many of these components are available as binaries (naturally Apple can get them to build, although they come out with their own closed-source dependencies) we can run them if we provide a compatible Foundation.framework. In this case, compatible means same ivars layout and object size, plus OS X-style framework layouts.

PF is built on top of CFLite, and currently provides all of the bridged classes which CF provides, along with a few extra support classes (eg. auto release pools, enumerators). It's binary compatible in that it will run binaries compiled on OS X (because you can't currently compile anything on Darwin because Apple's gcc won't compile...). It's good enough to run most of the Darwin Obj-C tools: the directory services command line and arch (yes, Apple's arch is written in Obj-C...). Development has mainly been geared towards implementing the features these have needed.

The code hasn't been touched for a while because I've taken a step back from PureDarwin for the moment. I'm waiting for Snow Leopard and its source to be released (in the hope that things will have improved... PureDarwin was a lot of work for little gain, especially since there were only ever three or four of us working on it).

As far as integrating more GNUStep code goes, any help would be appreciated, and having GNUStep's AppKit run on top of PF sounds like a great target to aim for (I've also got my eye on Etoile).

So, basically, thanks for noticing PF.

_sjc_