Re: Debugging GNUstep app

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Debugging GNUstep app
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 13:01:58 +0000

On 4 Dec 2009, at 10:41, Andreas Höschler wrote:

Hi all,

my app core dumps under certain circumstances. When I open the core file with gdb and enter

        bt

I only see that the run loop catched an exception. This does not help me a bit. I guess the exception was raised in a subthread.

It shouldn't be. Exceptions should be caught in the thread that they are thrown. I'm not sure how they'd be moved between threads. If you want to see where an exception is thrown, add a breakpoint on - [NSException raise].

Any chance I can get a backtrace from a subthread in gdb? This might be a dummy/newbie question but I have never done that and figured out how this would work. Is that possible?

If it is related to threads, then 'info threads' will list the currently running threads and then thread {number} will switch gdb to showing the numbered thread.

David

-- Sent from my Cray X1