Re: GNUstep build problem

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: GNUstep build problem
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 11:24:03 +0100

Hi Fred,

-fPIC should be used on almost every target that GNUstep Makefiles support. You can check under gnustep-make/target.make

Did you see it when you typed "make messages=yes" ? I checked and it does look set for Solaris targets.

It is true, so far we have only seen the link command, not the one used
for compilation. To see the results of configure on make and base would
also help to diagnose the issue.

I think that Andreas problem comes from one of the other libraries he is
linking in not being properly compiled.

You mean without the -fpic option!?

 He should try to find out which
one. The obvious first candidates are ffcall and freetype, but it might
as well be one of the other libraries of the system (libobjc springs to
mind).

I really have only built these two libraries by myself and gcc of course, libobj being a part of that build!?

For building gcc I currently use

        cd /opt/temp
        pkgadd -d gmp-4.2.1-sol10-x86-local
        pkgadd -d mpfr-2.4.0-sol10-x86-local

        cd /usr/src
        gunzip mpfr-2.4.0.tar.gz
        tar xvf mpfr-2.4.0.tar
        cd mpfr-2.4.0
        ./configure
        make
        make install

        cd /usr/src
        gunzip gcc-4.2.3.tar.gz
        gtar xvf gcc-4.2.3.tar
        cd gcc-4.2.3
        mkdir objdir
        cd objdir
../configure --with-gnu-as --with-as=/usr/sfw/bin/gas --without-gnu-ld --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld --enable-shared --disable-nls --enable-languages=c,c++,objc --disable-multilib
        make
        make install

Anything wrong with this? When I now build any library I also see the -fpic option in each gcc call!?

Thanks,

 Andreas