Re: Microphone for FOSDEM?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Microphone for FOSDEM?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 00:07:44 +0000

On 18 Jan 2010, at 22:26, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:

And if somebody has a semi-decent DV-Cam with FireWire at hand it would also be good if he could bring it for FOSDEM. I am currently cutting the talk videos from last year (a little late, I know …) and I am having some difficulties with the poor quality of picture and sound which my pocket digicam produced. I guess and hope some device made especially for that purpose would yield a better media quality.

For the talks at the Étoilé hackathon we used the builtin iSight on a MacBook Pro, which recorded a competent picture at 640x480 (although Quentin kept walking out of the frame). If the slides are available too, then that gives good quality. QuickTime can record directly to H. 264, so it doesn't take an insane amount of disk space. We used an external microphone (an external iSight, which has a surprisingly good microphone. I would bring it, but it has a faulty connection and keeps stopping working if you nudge it gently, so it's not a good thing to rely on).

David

-- Sent from my STANTEC-ZEBRA