Re: Help Files

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Help Files
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:17:53 +0000

On 17 Feb 2010, at 09:35, J. Jordan wrote:

> Where do Help files (bundles) belong?
>
> I assume in xxx.app/Resources but I cannot find that in writing anywhere (and
> I did look for it).
>
> I am not refering to man pages or info pages, I am refering to xxx.help as
> used by HelpViewer.app
>
> thanks,

I'm not familiar with HelpViewer.app, but I do know how standard application
help works (though IIRC ProjectCenter.app helps you set up help files and puts
them in the right place for you, so you generally don't need to know).

Help files normally have a .rtf or .rtfd extension (not '.help') and are stored
in the Resources subdirectory.  The built-in help viewer handles rtf help
files, and no external app is needed in that case.

Your application's AppNameInfo.plist file (where 'AppName' is the name of your
application) usually has an entry of the form:

    GSHelpContentsFile = AppNameHelp.rtf;

Which tells the system what the default help file for the application is called
(AppNameHelp.rtf could be any file name you choose).