Re: Weird focus problem with GNUstep applications in WindowMaker

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: Weird focus problem with GNUstep applications in WindowMaker
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 13:13:55 +0000 (UTC)

В Thu, 22 Jul 2010 14:31:32 +0200, Eric Brunel написа:

> but it seems they don't upgrade them very often.

Well, upgrading them in the stable suite is completely out of question.
OTOH, backports are useless because of the SONAME bumps.

> I checked the testing and unstable releases for the versions to come;
> There are a few improvements indeed, but they're still not at the latest
> versions.

The latest Base/GUI/Back is in experimental, waiting (8 months already
:-() for permission from the Release Team for the library transition.

> And besides, I'd prefer using a stable distribution.

I am using even an even older combination on gNewSense (1.14/0.12).
Some bugs are annoying, but still bearable.

> What are my options here?

1. Fetch the most recent Debian source packages, build and install
   the .debs.
2. Install GNUstep from SVN with GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN=USER.
3. Purge your distro packages, and install GNUstep from SVN with the
   native layout.

> Debian is quite different from the standard one,

The "standard one" for GNUstep, you mean.  The FHS layout Debian
packages (almost) adhere to *is* the standard for the Debian
distribution; the GNUstep stack was threatened with removal a few
years ago for non-compliance.