Re: Source-level compatibility of runtime(s) with Apple

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Source-level compatibility of runtime(s) with Apple
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 15:34:45 +0000

On 21 Feb 2011, at 15:23, Ivan Vučica wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've ran into a difference between runtime on Debian and Apple's runtime in
> the function name conventions. For example:
>
>       Class classFromIsa;
> #if GNUSTEP
>       classFromIsa = objc_lookup_class([isaStr UTF8String]);
> #else
>       classFromIsa = objc_lookUpClass([isaStr UTF8String]);
> #endif
>
> I wanted to ask whether the GNU/GNUstep runtime could additionally include
> the Apple variant of the function name, but fortunately I looked at libobjc2
> source code first. From what I can see, there the Apple's style of the
> function name is used.
>
> What is the future policy regarding this? What should the above #if check for?

If you are using GNUstep, you should use objc_lookUpClass() irrespective of the
runtime, because GNUstep provides and uses the *modern* Apple runtime API
So there should be no #if check required.

Of course, your debian distribution might be using a very old version of
GNUstep where this wasn't the case ... in which case it would be good to update
to a more recent version.