Re: gnustep on cygwin

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: gnustep on cygwin
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 09:03:47 +0100

Hi,

I was never able to run stuff on cygwin. Another user reported some success here on the list months/years ago, but I wasn't able to share his luck and he did not tell us how he fixed things.
I'm trying to get gnustep-base working on the latest stable release of
cygwin and applied  yselkowitz's patches to gnustep-make.2.4 as
appropriate. But no luck:
gnustep-base 1.20.1 compiles fine, my little NSLog(@"hello
world") test program (a tool), too. But it crashes with seg fault. It
works on mingw and Linux. I've tried all sorts of gcc and
ffi and objc runtimes, but no luck.
So please, can you give me some advice:
- which gcc to use in cygwin?
- ffcall or ffi? cygwin version or this extra gnustep.org
libffi-gcc4.2.2 version?
GNUstep still supports both, libffi being preferred. I use ffcall on mingw.
- is this gnustep-objc-1.6.0 still necessary? It doesn't
compile with newer gcc 4.5 btw.
It shouldn't be necessary for any gcc >= 3 (except for some broken versions). It should compile though.
- any secret configuration options?
- threading model POSIX ok?

Since we're about to port a big project with Linux
dependencies, mingw  is not an option.
Mingw is a different beast, but indeed cygwin makes porting to windows a lot, lot easier. Actually, most things now work on mingw too, but of course X11 and unix sockets remain a big plus for cygwin.

Riccardo