Re: UIKit bridging for AppKit: Chameleon

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: UIKit bridging for AppKit: Chameleon
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 20:16:32 +0100

UIKit highly depends on Core Animation, and, from what I gathered, so does Chameleon. As far as I can see, GNUstep doesn't mention Core Animation anywhere to be supported.

Without Core Animation, I don't think there's much point in looking at Chameleon. What one can do, however, is implement basic UIKit-like APIs without relying on Core Animation. More advanced apps that use tons of animations and dig deeply behind the scenes of the topmost APIs would probably break horribly, but just as with anything else, simplest apps could be made to work without problems.

Or, GNUstep could receive a Core Animation treatment to make things more compatible. I haven't used CA except in the form exposed by UIKit, so I'd have to step back and let someone else comment on feasibility of this.