Re: Objective-C & GNUstep Base on Ubuntu compute cluster: crazy?

From: Scott Christley
Subject: Re: Objective-C & GNUstep Base on Ubuntu compute cluster: crazy?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 09:10:20 -0500

On Mar 30, 2011, at 11:17 AM, David Kulp wrote:

> I took a hiatus from non-GUI scientific programming to develop iOS and MacOS
> apps.  I'm smitten with Objective-C and the Foundation kit (plus a number of
> other nice Apple kits like Core Data).  And XCode is pretty impressive --
> although I'm still an emacs user at heart.  Anyway, now I'm back into
> scientific programming -- i.e. non-GUI number-crunching apps running on linux
> clusters.  I despise C++ and would love to avoid it as much as possible,
> although the current corporate culture is C++/R/Perl.
>
> I thought I'd use Apple's CF-Lite, but that is no longer supported.
>
> So am I crazy to even consider this?  Can a minimal GNUstep be easily built
> on Ubuntu without a GUI.  Is it conceivable that I could develop in Xcode on
> my mac and test and deploy to a linux box?  Anyone else do this?

This is what I do for my research.  I put code into frameworks (google
BioCocoa) and write simple command-line utilities for running stuff.  A GNUstep
makefile can reside in the source code next to the Xcode project files without
any problem, so its easy to compile and install on the linux box.

> Considering how prevalent Mac OS X is as the desktop/laptop environment among
> the scientific/academic computing folks, I would think there would be a lot
> of interest in leveraging the Objective C development tools for cluster
> computing, high performance computing, cloud computing, etc.

The only problem I've ever had is not having the required software available,
some admins only have C and C++ installed, xml library not installed, stuff
like that, but in all cases its an easy install for the admin.  I install
GNUstep myself locally, along with my research tools.  I've used on all types
of clusters, Intel-based, AMD-based, GPU clusters, etc.  NSOperation works well
so you have simple access to multi-core parallelism.  You can also use MPI
without a problem, it just requires linking some additional C libraries in the
GNUstep makefile.

cheers
Scott