Re: Some general questions

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Some general questions
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 21:28:08 +0200

Hi,

In data 25 maggio 2011 alle ore 02:14:41, Austin Clow <dr_clow@mac.com> ha scritto:

Thank you all for all your responses. I have learned a lot in the last few hours that reading the wiki didn't clear up for me (I have been reading it for months and only just got around to joining this list, should have done it sooner).
If there is incorrect stuff in the wiki, or unclear passages, report them too. You can fix them yourself (again, an account is requested only for spam reasons) or discuss them here and we will be happy to update things.

In the future, I will have many more questions later about GNUstep and getting my software ported over to it. And I will try to contribute where I can. I know that I will start to notice a lot of the differences once I get started and those will be reported as well.
Sure. Keep in mind that we don't strive to be a "clone" so some things are expected to be different. However we try to have the same API, so things should behave the same (same events, same methods called.

I have been looking into the Theming that has started to be added to the AppKit. There is a lot of interesting stuff there.
Also a bit unfinished and experimental :)

I do have a question: How can I make Ubuntu launch into GWorkspace/GNUstep instead of Unity as default? I would like to see GNUstep with out all the other widgets. I was wondering about the possibility of even replacing the login window with a GNUstep app. Just curious.
We don't have an official login window, as far as I know. GAP is working on one, but it is incomplete. What I do is just use your preferred login (even plain xdm does the job) and customize your .xinitrc

I suggest sourcing GNUstep.sh and launching WindowMaker, that way you can put gnustep apps in windowmaker menus. You may also want to directly start GWorkspace for the most complete experience.

Riccardo

--
Creato con il rivoluzionario client email di Opera: http://www.opera.com/mail/