NSSplitview Background

From: Austin Clow
Subject: NSSplitview Background
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 18:52:48 -0500

In Mac OS X, the NSSplitView is transparent, and doesn't draw any sort of
background. It only draws the splitters.

On GNUstep, it looks to me like it draws a background by default, and this
color seems to be the same color as the window background. It has the functions
-[NSSplitView setBackgroundColor:] and -[NSSplitView setDividerColor:].

I was wondering if it might be acceptable to alter GNUstep's NSSplitView to by
default not draw a background color (until it is set with one of the
setBackgroundColor options, considering that the color is the same as the
window not many people will notice unless they have a custom window background
color). It would, then, be in alignment with Mac OS X's implementation (which I
know it not the goal to be 100% the same, it is just a discussion topic).

On a side note:
I also filed a 'bug' report that brought attention to the fact that NSSplitView
on GNUstep does not implement (or dummy) - [NSSplitView setDividerStyle:]
(something else that would be nice to see implemented (at least to be there but
ignored).

Also:
I am not really comfortable with adding anything to GNUsteps framework as I
have never worked with SVN (other than to check things out), and I don't really
want to mess anything up that yinz have implemented.

- Austin