Re: GC-optional mode: does anyone care?

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: GC-optional mode: does anyone care?
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 13:31:11 +0200

On Saturday, May 28, 2011 12:19 CEST, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:

> On 28 May 2011, at 11:10, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
>
> > So if I get it right, I'd need to create two versions for each
> > library/framework, one without, and one with gc, so that apps, which would
> > use one or the other method can both work.
>
> Yes.
>
> > Speaking for OpenBSD packages, I think I'd favor the third option you
> > proposed, if both could be created with one compile run. Then I could just
> > install both versions, and I'm done. The apps would pick then one or the
> > other, whatever they need.
>
> The problem with this approach is that it would require a significant change
> to how you specify libraries in GNUmakefiles.  We'd have to specify a list of
> frameworks, rather than a list of linker flags (this is something I'd like to
> see anyway, because it's irritating having to have conditional code for every
> framework specifying -framework on OS X and -l everywhere else).  -make would
> then have to append the GC suffix for the GC version.
>
> The relative advantage of the GC-optional mode is that you'd just be able to
> add -fobjc-gc to OBJCFLAGS and forget about it.
I don't know how much the performance overhead would be with this option, I
think on recent hardware, nobody would care, but on older hardware I thougth it
may be noticable? In the ports makefile, I can distinguish between
architectures, but then only adding this complexity for slower architectures,
would make no sense. Then this complexity could be added in general for all.
Either way, if I could get both in one run, either with GC-optional mode, or
with creating both versions in parallel, would be the easiest.

> That said, I'm not really sure how big of a problem this is.  For the GNUstep
> core packages, it isn't much effort for packagers to create GC and non-GC
> packages.  Apps / tools will only need to ship in one flavour. The only place
> where it may actually be useful to support both easily is in downstream
> frameworks, but these would have to explicitly opt in to GC support (we don't
> want to be automatically building GC-enabled versions of code that won't work
> with GC).

Sebastian