Re: ANN: One Step to GNUstep - pre-release version 0.9

From: Richard Stonehouse
Subject: Re: ANN: One Step to GNUstep - pre-release version 0.9
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 17:40:28 +0100

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 08:10:16AM -0400, theraven@sucs.org wrote:

> If it's intended as a developer environment, then I would hope that
> it includes clang for the analyser at least, if not as the
> compiler.  Hopefully it's also using clang as the compiler, with
> the GNUstep runtime and the non-fragile ABI.

This is something that could be considered for the next release.

I haven't been following the clang/Objc 2 discussion because it's
a bit above my head :-)

Are they now stable and mainstream, or still a bit experimental?

I ask because I think the kind of 'developer' we had principally in
mind is someone new to GNUstep and possibly fairly new to
development, the aim being to let them dip a toe in the water -
develop a few small apps perhaps - with minimum effort and minimum
risk. There are enough supporting tools there to enable pretty
serious builds - the system can successfully compile kernel modules,
for example - but at present it doesn't really include the cutting
edge stuff that a 'power developer' might want.

I would guess that the 'power developer' probably wouldn't be
satisfied with working in a VM environment, but would rather set up
their machine so as to do development in native mode and thus avoid
the virtualisation overheads on performance and memory. The VM would
get them from "what is this GNUstep thing that's supposed to be so
great for development" to "OK, it's good, now I want to develop a
real application". At which point they install a native mode
development environment. But that's just my guess.

What sort of developer would you see as having need of clang and
Objective C 2?

Would this be in place of, or in addition to, the gcc compiler and
libobjc?

--
    Richard Stonehouse