Re: ANN: GNUstep 2.6.0 for openSUSE 11.4

From: Richard Stonehouse
Subject: Re: ANN: GNUstep 2.6.0 for openSUSE 11.4
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 02:20:38 +0100

Hi Nat,

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 07:58:27PM -0400, Nat!<nat@mulle-kybernetik.com> wrote:

> o     is there something like libobjc45-devel ? I need the headers ...

Not that I can see. However there are some in the package gcc45-objc
which are installed at /usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.5/include/objc/
- are those what you're looking for?

> o     when I ctrl-drag in Gorm, I only get the context menu. Why is that ?

I don't know; I get the coloured arrows and buttons, running under
VMware Player.

> o     the standard gdb doesn't seem so clued in about objective-c, but I
> don't see a specific gdb package for objective-c. Where to get it ?
>
> o     is there no NSSegmentedControl in GNUstep ? Loading a Mac OS X nib with
> one inside, produces an exception.
>
> o     was XFCE as window manager a reasonable choice, or could this be a
> source of some of my problems ?

It's actually lxdm, which is kind of loosely associated with the lxde
suite (not xfce) but designed to be usable independently. It was
originally chosen because xdm had a nasty bug, the patch for which was
awkward to apply because of the way xdm is built in openSUSE. lxdm
seemed the most lightweight Display Manager after xdm. But also it
looks nicer - themable and generally modern appearance.

> o     why are the Gorm palettes all black and white ? :)

On my system, most of them are B&W but the rightmost one - the Data
Palette - has a picture which is in colour. Can you check whether you
get that?

> P.S. I think it would be nice if the ProjectCenter package had all the
> dependencies, to pull in gcc, make et.c.

Yes, I can see that would be useful. Normally, I try not to introduce
dependencies unless they're essential - i.e. the package won't run
without them - but, in this case, I can't imagine anyone wanting to
build a project and then not make it.

--
    Richard Stonehouse