Re: new attempt GNUstep on cygwin

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: new attempt GNUstep on cygwin
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 10:43:18 +0100

On 4 Jul 2011, at 10:14, Fred Kiefer wrote:

> you need to run configure --enable-server=win32 if you want the native
> display and why wouldn't you want that?

When I ran Cygwin, I wanted everything using it to use X11 (XFree86, which
shows how long ago it was), so that I could access it remotely or locally.  X
on Windows had a nice rootless mode (actually, two - one where you ran a WM and
one where windows were decorated by Windows), so when I didn't want a full
Cygwin environment, I could just run a few apps, but when I did I could just
make the X server full screen and ignore Windows completely.

I'm not sure if it's still true, but back then it was fairly common for apps to
use a native Win32 UI with MinGW and X11 with Cygwin.

David

-- Sent from my brain