Re: Cross Platform GNUStep GUI with Native Look-And-Feel

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Cross Platform GNUStep GUI with Native Look-And-Feel
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 17:31:48 +0200

Hi Deech,

the trick is that there is no code involved!

Graphos, for example is perfectly native on Mac, the same is true for Grr and GShisen.

The way this is accomplished is that there are
* two different "projects" one for ProjecectCenter (with makefiles) and one for XCode * two different interface sets: Gorm files and NIB files (this is not necessary for apps which do not use interface files but code the interface. Also you can use NIBs in GNustep but they don't look perfect and native, so this is the most expensive but most "perfect" approach) * the code base is about 100% the same. The small differences are handled with #ifdefs in the applications which need that

The effect is that when you build on Mac you build with Xcode and have a true mac app.

On Linux and Windows, your application will have the default GNUstep theme (which essentially matches WindowMaker)

To make the GNUstep application feel at home in Windows or GNOME (or other environments) you need a Theme. Currently themes for Windows and GNOME are work in progress. These themes handle the native bits for all applications and they are not needed in the application.

Riccardo