Re: Steven P. Jobs 1955-2011: Here's to the crazy one who inspired us al

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Steven P. Jobs 1955-2011: Here's to the crazy one who inspired us all...
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 04:50:13 -0400

The reason the GNU Project exists is to give the ethical dimension of
computing priority over other dimensions.  If a program respects our
freedom but isn't fully convenient, we can live with it.  If a program
respects our freedom but has bugs, we can fix them.  But if the
program tramples our freedom, no amount of elegance, reliability or
utility can compensate.

Measured in this way, the effects of Apple's policies on users'
freedom trump Apple's technical advances -- many of which are off
limits to us due to Apple's patents.

This is not to say that Apple's technical advances aren't advances.
Only that they can't outweigh Apple's wrongs.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation