Re: Installing GNUstep from source on Debian GNU/Linux SID

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Installing GNUstep from source on Debian GNU/Linux SID
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 13:12:11 +0100

Csanyi Pal wrote:

> Wolfgang Lux <wolfgang.lux@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Csanyi Pal wrote:
>>
>>> I have installed now Gorm and ProjectCenter but can't run these:

>>> Where should be the backend libgnustep-art?
>>
>> This rather looks like a misconfiguration of your installation. If you
>> didn't configure gnustep-back with a --with-name=art option there will
>> be no bundle named libgnustep-art.bundle.
>
> I used script of Ivan Vučica and in it is this line for building
> gnustep-back:
> ./configure --enable-graphics=cairo && make -j 3 && sudo -E make install
>
>> Try
>>  defaults delete NSGlobalDomain GSBackend
>> and then start Gorm or ProjectCenter again.
>
> I tried it and it works.
>
> Now if I run
> defaults read NSGlobalDomain GSBackend
>
> then I get
> defaults read: couldn't read default

This is correct. The default delete command does what it says: It deletes the
respective default and therefore the command default read can no longer read
it. Admittedly, the message could be improved to say that the default does not
exist at all.

> Should I rebuild gnustep with the script of Ivan but with modified line
> in it?
>
> cd ../back
> ./configure --enable-graphics=cairo --with-name=art && make -j 3 && sudo -E
> make install

Don't do that. Using the name art for the cairo backend (selected with
--enable-graphics=cairo) would be confusing everybody. The --with-name option
really makes sense only if you are installing different backend bundles
(GNUstep provides art, cairo, and xlib) in parallel and want to be able to
switch between them, which is achieved by changing the GSBackend default. If
you only use a single backend bundle, it is best to stick to the default name,
which is gnustep-back for that matter, and leave the GSBackend default unset.

Wolfgang