Re: Installing GNUstep from source on Debian GNU/Linux SID

From: Niels Grewe
Subject: Re: Installing GNUstep from source on Debian GNU/Linux SID
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 15:27:55 +0100

Am 06.02.2012 15:15, schrieb Csanyi Pal:
> Ivan Vučica <ivucica@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 16:48, Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>     How can I start development applications, like ProjectManager,
>>     ProjectCenter, Gorm, and user applications?
>
>> GNUstep was built and installed into /usr/GNUstep. Before being able
>> to build any GNUstep apps using command line, you'll have to "source"
>> the GNUstep.sh file. You can enter it whenever building GNUstep apps
>> in command line, or add it to ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc
>
>> $ . /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
>> This tells various GNUmakefiles where to find GNUstep and how it's
>> configured.
>>
>> Now that we did that, we can actually build apps.
>>
>> Additional apps are in ~/gnustep/dev-apps/ and
>> ~/gnustep/usr-apps/. Just go into the appropriate folder and do:
>> $ make
>> $ sudo make install
>>
>> You can now easily build and install projectcenter and gorm, and use
>> them for further development.
>
> I have installed now ProjectCenter and Gorm and I can start these only
> from xterm window.
>
> My desktop environment is Window Maker and in this environment I have
> icons for every application, so one for Gorm and one for ProjectCenter
> too. I have an issue that I can't to start say Gorm with double click on
> it's icon: nothing happen than, instead of start it running. This is
> probably a PATH issue, right?
>
> I'm trying to setup PATH so one can start say Gorm using it's icon. I
> run the command in an xterm window:
> export PATH=/usr/GNUstep/Local/Applications:$PATH
>
> but that doesn't help.
>
> I get these in ~/.xsession-errors
> ProjectCenter: error while loading shared libraries:
> libProjectCenter.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
> Gorm: error while loading shared libraries: libGormCore.so.1: cannot
>
> I tried to edit
> ~/GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker/autostart
> . /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
> export PATH=/home/csanyipal/Programozas/Obj_C_ben/\
> GNUstep_letoltve_SVN-nel/llvm/Release+Asserts/bin:$PATH
> export PATH=/usr/GNUstep/Local/Applications:$PATH
>
> but that doesn't help too.
>
> Any advices?

You should add /usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries/ or wherever those
libraries live to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that the dynamic linker can
find them. Usually the GNUstep.sh script from GNUstep make will do that
for you. Did you source it in your .bashrc/.profile as was previously
suggested in this thread?

Cheers,

Niels