Re: API differences between GNUstep and OS X

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: API differences between GNUstep and OS X
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 09:13:39 +0100

On 27.02.2012 01:06, Jens Alfke wrote:
I’ve gotten past my installation problem (thanks everyone!) and now
I’m getting down to making my code compile. I’m running into a lot of
issues where APIs are different or missing. Some of these are Linux
vs. BSD (e.g. digittoint), some are Apple frameworks that aren’t part
of GNUstep (e.g. CommonCrypto). Those are expected and I’m dealing
with them.

But there are also a lot of instances where the GNUstep base
framework is out of date with respect to Apple’s Foundation. A lot of
methods that’ve been around since OS X 10.5 seems to be missing; some
I’ve run into are −[NSFileManager removeItemAtPath:error:] +[NSData
dataWithContentsOfFile:options:error:] I don’t expect everything to
be identical to Apple’s headers, but I was expecting the differences
to be in new APIs or obscure classes.

Is there a newer version of the framework available, or is this the
state of the art and I’ll need to start changing my code or
implementing those methods myself in categories?

There is a third option that you should think about: You could implement the missing methods and donate them back to the GNUstep project. Contributions like this are highly welcome and if it involves simple methods like the ones listed above you could get away without signing all the copyright assignments, although that isn't much hassle. It just takes some time :-)