GS Back xlib on 8Bit display

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: GS Back xlib on 8Bit display
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 12:25:58 +0200

Hi,

I got GNUstep up and running on a Tadpole Sparcbook 3GX under OpenBSD ;)
Riccardo recommended me to use the xlib graphics backend.

Generally it seems to be all fine, besides a little bit slow. Since its only 8
Bit display, colors sometimes look a bit weirdo ;)

When applications are starting, I see the following warning on the console:

WARNING - XGServer is unable to use the fast algorithm for writing to an 8-bit
display on this host - the most likely reason being the StandardColormap
RGB_BEST_MAP has not been installed.

My hope is when I can get rid of the warning, then colors may look a bit better,
and maybe if it then uses the "fast algorithm" things may feel faster on that
box.

Googling for the RGB_BEST_MAP, I found its related to xlib, but what exactly,
and how to install it, its not clear to me.
I hope someone has a cluestick and can point me into the right direction.

Sebastian