Re: NSString lowercaseString

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: NSString lowercaseString
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 17:48:34 +0200

On Wednesday, August 1, 2012 16:11 CEST, Ivan Vučica <ivucica@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Sebastian Reitenbach <
> sebastia@l00-bugdead-prods.de> wrote:
>

> > On Wednesday, August 1, 2012 11:49 CEST, Ivan Vučica <ivucica@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Which charset is your terminal configured to use on each operating
> > system?
> >
> > sorry, don't know how to figure that out?
> >

> I'm not really sure.
>
> But, what you can do is try to SSH to the machine using a client that
> allows configuring the charset. PuTTY is one such client. Linux machine's
> output in particular seems like it might be using a single-byte encoding.
>
> Also, some more ideas. Are the files themselves definitely using the same
> encoding? I know there was talk on the mailing list about compilers having
> to support different encodings for parsing input files and for storing
> constant NSStrings - is the compiler using correct input and output
> encodings?
>
> It may be a good idea to try loading the input string from a file which is
> certainly a containing UTF-8-encoded text. That way you're avoiding
> potential compiler problems and only Foundation can be at fault, making it
> easier to see if the problem is with lowercaseString, with string loading
> or if there is a problem with the compiler.

I created the file on Linux. file -i told me its UTF-8. Don't know about a
better way to find that out. Then I used scp to copy the file over to

the OpenBSD machine, to have exactly the same file. Also there
file -i told me its UTF-8. So, I'm pretty sure, its the same file, with
same contents on both hosts, or otherwise, scp would screw up
the file, which I don't think so.

> (Difference in NSLog()'s output is confusing, however.)

yes, that confuses me too.

Sebastian