Re: gnustep question

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: gnustep question
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 11:18:59 +0200

Hi,

Roelof Wobben wrote:

Hello,

I want to try gnustep instead of the big WM as KDE and Gnome.
But I wonder if I can use gnustep alone or must I use a wm like etoille to see
if this is something for me.

You definitely need a window manager. WindowMaker is suggested, but nothing prevents you to run GNUstep applications inside any KDE or Gnome.

At its core, GNUstep is only a bunch of frameworks for OpenStep. The GNUstep project also supplies some developer tools (ProjectCenter, Gorm, EasyDiff...) and some essential user tools (GWorkspace, SystemPreferences, examples) which a are absolutely optional and can be replaced at your will.

You may want to look at our application list on the Wiki and have a look at the two projects wanting to supply GNUstep with the rest to make a Destkop environment: étoilé (etoileos.com) and the GNUstep Application Project (GAP: gap.nongnu.org).

Nothing prevents you to do some mix&match.

I suggest you to look at the various applications, read around on our website and try to make yourself an idea of what is available, since some applications are stand-alone projects (http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Category:Applications).

Riccardo