Re: How is the best way to setup a gnustep project center / gorm develop

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: How is the best way to setup a gnustep project center / gorm development environment ?
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 21:50:36 +0200

Hi Rose,

On 2012-08-14 17:23:36 +0200 Rose Bust <rosebust@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm trying to set up a learning environment where I can work through the developer documents on from the gnustep website to get a better feel for developing gnustep GUI apps. I have some experience developing under xcode. A fresh install of gnustep, project center and gorm on both windows xp and ubuntu (from binaries windows install executable and apt-get on ubuntu) does not result in project center able to build simple template applications it creates from a new project selection from its menu. I can build the application by running make from the command line but this sorta defeats the reason to use an IDE such as project center. Also just changing the project centers preferences for the location of make didn't fix this issue.
This smells as a problem with the Ubuntu packages.

The window packages are known to be problematic, but as far as I remember, Adam just updated them, so everything should work. Latest project center and Gorm do work under windos, although it is a suboptimal target platform to develop on. I suggest to work under unix and then test and compile under windows if you wish to targed that platform. I do that. And at best, everything is generated under unic and ou just need a "make"

So.. What is the best way to set up a new installation gnustep such that project center and gorm just work together as they appear that they are designed to do? Is there an earlier release of gnustep where this is not a problem?
The latest releases should do. You might want to install everything from source. Or just install the gnustep core from the packages (windows or ubuntu) and then install the applications. I do that sometimes.

A very quick option would be to try a VM. We offer a ready image with the tools configurated that work, thants to Richard's work:
http://www.rstonehouse.co.uk/extras/GNUstep-VM-0.9/

it is not th latest stuff anymore, but it should work out of the box and give you the tools to work. Also, it is a reference on how to configure things to get it working, in csase you want to try some do-it-yourself.

Riccardo