Re: Great Moments in Mystifying Compiler Messages...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Great Moments in Mystifying Compiler Messages...
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 07:58:02 +0200

Hi,

what software are you really trying to compile? Are you sure it is abndoned and that there hasn't been a newer release?
Please check:
http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Category:Applications
http://www.gnustep.org/softwareindex/

On 2012-08-16 01:28:41 +0200 Citizen Jimserac <jimserac@gmail.com> wrote:

Ah!  The plot thickens, I should have known....

I found a number of older example GNUStep programs, some of them, like
ToyViewer, with REALLY INTERESTING code in them.  These older
programs, from around the years 2000 - 2005, almost never compile
properly in modern GNUStep, for reasons such as Ivan has kindly
explained here.  They can be found in various web hideaways, usually a
trip to www.archive.org is sufficient to ferret them out.   Some of
Pero's excellent example programs and his wonderful GNUSTEP Cookbook
can be found out there too, they are quite good.
Actualy most old code compiles fine, often you just need to fix the header includes, since those were cleaned up.
Getting it to work is sometimes different, since many things changed.
I fixed and updated a lot of programs in the GAP project.

I stumble on language issues too, for example I'm trying to figure out
this one right now:
In file included from MyDocument.m:22:
./PRCustTraceEdges.h:19:127: warning: declaration of 'enum
medianForms' will not
      be visible outside of this function [-Wvisibility]
  ...:(BOOL)useZeroCross :(BOOL)enable1 :(enum medianForms)form1 :
(int)size1...
[cut]
This and the following errors are of software I have written. I recognize it! Are you trying to compile PRICE perhaps? or is there software that copied its files? PRICE compiles on current gnustep and on the gnustep release in Debian as well as on mac 10.3&10.4.

Riccardo