Re: Ivan's ZCODE - Anyone get a Good Compile?

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Ivan's ZCODE - Anyone get a Good Compile?
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 18:37:51 +0200

Hi James,

There is no problem finding objc/objc.h; instead, compiling the test program fails. You have an error finding cc1obj while configure attempts to use gcc-4.6. This means you did not install Objective-C support for gcc-4.6. To do so, please install gobjc-4.6 package, if you're using a Debian-based distribution.

Alternatively, if you're using gcc-4.7, edit configure.ac and change the reference to gcc-4.6 to gcc-4.7.

Ideally I should be removing this check, but I have no idea when I'll next work on Zcode. This check is here because at the time when this was being written I had the ideal of supporting GNUstep packages that ship with Debian and Ubuntu. However, even at that time, it was apparent that these packages are woefully out of date; for example, I shipped a minimalist reimplementation of NSViewController because it was missing in Debian's packages even though it turned out it was already in what was latest GNUstep trunk at the time.

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 6:18 PM, Citizen Jimserac <jimserac@gmail.com> wrote:
On Aug 16, 11:41 am, Ivan Vučica <ivuc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please send me config.log off-list. Not finding objc/objc.h is Bad News(tm).
>
> On 16. 8. 2012., at 17:32, Citizen Jimserac <jimse...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 16, 11:07 am, Ivan Vučica <ivuc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
>
> >> it's not functional, really, and since I've last worked on it (and even more so since I "designed" it), I've come a few steps farther on the long road towards Cocoa/OpenStep/GNUstep mastery.
>
> >> But I don't think there should be any breakage. Could you post some details on what's broken?

> >> --
> >> Ivan Vučica
> >> i...@vucica.net -http://ivan.vucica.net/
>
> > ./configure fails with.....
>
> > checking objc/objc.h usability... no
> > checking objc/objc.h presence... no
> > checking for objc/objc.h... no
> > checking for gcc... /usr/bin/gcc
> > checking for gcc's Objective-C system includes... conftest.h:1:23:
> > fatal error: objc/objc.h: No such file or directory
> > compilation terminated.
>
> --
> Ivan Vučica
> i...@vucica.net -http://ivan.vucica.net/