Problems with GWorkspace 0.9.1 on 64-bit

From: Richard Stonehouse
Subject: Problems with GWorkspace 0.9.1 on 64-bit
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 19:38:58 +0100

Can anyone please advise about the following problem? It occurs with GNUstep on a 64-bit machine, but does not occur with a similar set-up on a 32-bit machine. Riccardo and I have been working on it, but without success so far.

The problems occur intermittently, but quite frequently, in GWorkspace when performing file operations such as duplicate, move, delete etc.

With the latest tarball versions of the GNUstep core libraries, these operations often cause a hang-up that can only be cleared by killing all instances of GWorkspace and ddbd, then restarting GWorkspace. Usually the hang-up occurs after an 'index out of range' NSException. The attached gdb logs were obtained using the tarball versions. The point of failure appears to be deep within GNUstep, though of course the original error could be higher up.

With GNUstep core libraries built from the current SVN, the index failures still occur - any file operation is almost guaranteed to trigger them - but are not generally followed by a hang-up.

Neither the index out of range messages nor the hangups occur when running on my 32-bit machine. However Riccardo reports a hang on an object move on 32-bit.

My 64-bit and 32-bit systems have an almost identical openSUSE 12.2 setup. This includes gcc 4.7 and gcc's libobjc. Possibly significant differences are:

   - 32-bit v 64-bit packages;

   - the 32-bit system is set up as a dual-boot with openSUSE
     and Windows, whereas the 64-bit system is set up as a VM
     under VMware under Windows.

CPU details of the two machines are attached.

--
     Richard Stonehouse