Re: GNUstep compatible game and 3D engine open-sourced

From: Stefan Bidi
Subject: Re: GNUstep compatible game and 3D engine open-sourced
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 07:26:44 -0600

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 5:45 AM, Julian Mayer <julian@corecode.at> wrote:
> hello stefan
>
>> I successfully built the game,
>
> great ;-)
>
>> but get a Segmentation Fault whenever I
>> try to play the game (after clicking "Play Now").
>
> not that great ;-(
>
>>  Before I explain
>> that, I the following warning on the command line:
>> [...]
>> 2012-11-06 19:51:37.779 CoreBreach[11547] File NSData.m: 163. In BOOL
>> readContentsOfFile(NSString *, void **, long *, NSZone *) Open
>> ((null)) attempt failed - bad path
>> 2012-11-06 19:51:37.779 CoreBreach[11547] File NSData.m: 163. In BOOL
>> readContentsOfFile(NSString *, void **, long *, NSZone *) Open
>> ((null)) attempt failed - bad path
>>
> thanks, i've just fixed these, but they were harmless.
>
>> The backtrace is attach.  Looks like something happens in
>> GSFFIInvocation.m and an infinite loop ensues.
>
> since the backtrace doesn't contain any game code but just a recursion of
> gs_objc_proxy_lookup() and objc_msg_lookup() i'm not sure what the cause of
> this could be or even how to start debugging it.
>
> i just did another fresh checkout on linux and verified that the project
> builds *and runs* fine.

I'll try to get something better tonight, but yesterday, when I was
testing, I went out to fram. #1000 and it was the same backtrace going
back and forth between those two functions.

>> As a not, it would be really helpful if there was a set of
>> instructions about how to install this from source.  It took me about
>> 2 hours to do the complete install.  Most of the time was spent trying
>> to figure out when dependencies where missing, installing those,
>> trying to compile again, installing more missing dependencies, failing
>> to compile again, installing dependencies, etc.
>
> i'm actually not so sure what dependencies you are talking about
> • the thing most complicated to install is gnustep/clang/libobjc but since
> you are on a gnustep list i believe you already had those installed....
> • most other dependencies are included in source form and don't need any
> installation (snappy, freetype-gl, cml, ...)
> • the remaining dependencies are SDL, SDL_mixer, bullet, alut & libavcodec.
> most of them are already included as linux 32&64 .so files for convenience
> and even if you are on BSD installing these via the ports tree should be a
> matter of seconds?

I have all the gnustep stuff installed, but besides that the system is
fairly frugal.  It's a Debian testing install and I didn't have any of
the SDL, OpenAL, etc installed since I don't usually play any games.

I'll admit I spent about 30 minutes trying to figure out how Github
worked and how to check out a copy of the code.  I still wasn't
successful and just downloaded the .zip file that Github has the
ability of creating.

It is also not obvious what is and is not a dependency.  For example,
I only found out libffplaylib was a dependency after I had built the
system.  At which point I went back to Github and got a copy of that
only to found out I was still missing some stuff dependencies to build
it.  I than figured out there was some prebuilt binaries as part of
the distribution and installed one of those instead.

To be honest, some of it was my fault.  But having the hard
dependencies spelled out would have saved me at least a few minutes.