Re: New comer to GNUStep needs advices

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: New comer to GNUStep needs advices
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 23:15:31 +0100

Hi Yan,

Here's a few tips if you mainly plan to write apps (which is GNUstep's main strength at this point, anyway -- it has numerous usable apps, but, sadly, most are lacking in features).

First, plan for installing from sources at some point. You can start trying out GNUstep using Debian's stock packages, Philippe Roussel has created more up-to-date packages which cover more libraries; that's the next thing you should try out in case of issues.

Finally, the best supported setup is if you actually download, build and install the latest source code from the Subversion repository at http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/modules/ - note that I have linked directly to the "modules" repository which has a "nicer" layout than downloading the entire repository while being more practical than downloading trunk of each module.

A shameless plug follows. :-)

If you do opt for going down the route of using latest bleeding edge code (which, depending on what you're doing and whether you'll run into issues, may be a good idea) -- then I'll shamelessly plug my script. I use it for initial deployments, so I think it's alright. Among other things, it builds Clang and GNUstep's libobjc2 runtime (which is not the same as the Debian package "libobjc2", which actually contains GCC's runtime). For latest and greatest in Objective-C world, you really want to use Clang and GNUstep's libobjc2 runtime.

Here's the Mercurial repository with the script:
    http://bitbucket.org/ivucica/gnustep-ubuntu
Note that you may want to actually run it step-by-step to verify each step works, instead of just running the script. Script has no error checking and will blindly try moving onto the next step. So you can use it as a reference guide to see what steps are necessary to set up GNUstep.

It'd also serve as a nice verification that the script is usable under Debian. It should be -- but I haven't checked if it is.

Note, the script doesn't modify your .bash_profile, although it probably should. You'll want to add these lines to .bash_profile (or run them each time you want to compile a GNUstep app). ($HOME is here based on the assumption you ran the script from your home folder.)

export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/llvm/tools/Release+Asserts/bin: # llvm/Debug/bin contains the clang binary
export CC=clang # Make Clang the C/ObjC compiler rather than GCC

. /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

Good luck!