Re: GNUstep distro

From: Liam Proven
Subject: Re: GNUstep distro
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 13:20:00 +0100

On 9 May 2013 16:34, Richard Stonehouse <richard@rstonehouse.co.uk> wrote:

> As a possible alternative, I've had it working under a recent VMware Player
> (though only tried under MS Windows).

Just for the record - I tried last night with VMware Player.

Your instructions are a little out of date. I spent some time
mystified as to why I couldn't install the OVF convertor. It kept
saying that it was already installed, which it very definitely wasn't.

In the end I decided to just try opening the downloaded VM directly,
which worked - VMware Player now includes OVF import, so you don't
need the separate convertor tool and that's why it wouldn't install.

The VM runs rather nicely under VMware, but unfortunately, I can't
`sudo` (don't know the root password) and so I can't install the
VMware guest additions, meaning that I can't reset the screen
resolution or anything.

I found it slightly odd that, in a desktop with a Dock included, you
made all the app launchers desktop icons - that's one of the things
the Dock is for, isn't it? :¬)

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884