Re: Problem compiling libobjc2 on pcbsd 9.1

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Problem compiling libobjc2 on pcbsd 9.1
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 17:38:57 +0100

Hi,

On 22 Jun 2013, at 04:10, Stephen Woolerton <leaf700@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm hoping someone can help me to compile gnustep-base on PCBSD 9.1.
>
> Notes:
>  - I'm compiling gnustep-base rather than using ports, in order to use
> blocks.
>  - Am using a fresh "jail" made with PCBSD's "warden" and latest ports tree.
>  - using clang 3.1

Why are you using clang 3.1?  FreeBSD has 3.3 in the tree, and in ports, so I'd
recommend using a newer one...

>  - On compiling libobjc2, I get an error which is reproduced below.
>
> A question...  I know this isn't a *BSD list, but am wondering, if someone
> can advise how to compile with a version of clang installed via ports. PCBSD
> 9.1 ships with clang 3.1 and I've installed clang 3.2 via ports. How do I
> access clang 3.2 to compile code?

cmake .. -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=/usr/local/bin/cmake
-DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=/usr/local/bin/cmake++

> -- Using /usr/lib/libsupc++.so as the C++ runtime library

If PC-BSD is shipping the libsupc++.so from FreeBSD 9.1, then this won't work.
It's fixed in 10-CURRENT and I'll probably MFC it tomorrow, but until then you
must use libcxxrt or build the separate libobjcxx.  There's a check in libobjc2
trunk / 1.7-RC2 that should stop this happening.

> [ 37%] Building ASM object CMakeFiles/objc.dir/objc_msgSend.S.o

These errors look like they're caused by using as instead of clang / gcc to
compile .S files.  You probably want to add this to your CMake flags:

-DCMAKE_ASM_COMPILER=clang -DCMAKE_ASM_FLAGS=-c

David

-- Sent from my PDP-11