Re: OS's menu?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: OS's menu?
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 11:32:37 +0200

Hi,

On 07/31/13 10:23, Lundberg, Johannes wrote:
Are there any ongoing plans on change the default menus of GNUstep?
We currently support three different menu styles, but read below:
- "standard gnustep" (= floating menu) NSNextStepInterfaceStyle
- "windows style" (= in-window menu) NSWindows95InterfaceStyle
- "Mac style" (= bar on top) NSMacintoshInterfaceStyle

Check "NSMenuInterfaceStyle" in the default settings.

Are there similar work in progress for making this happen on Windows and OS X?

For me the floating menu is quite awkward and doesn't go well together with any modern OS of today. It takes up space on the desktop and won't let you maximize your window without hiding the menu.
I love the floating menu, but everyone has its needs. It is different and less used. I t has integrated tear-out menus and I find it quite powerful after some adaption time.

The value above can be set as a preference or can come with a certain theme.

Why do you mention "os-x"? When compiled as Aqua native, the application will use the apple menu (not just "mac style").

On windows you have two choices: the standard in-window style or through the native windows theme, access the native windows menu.

Let me not though that while the Mac and NeXT styles are functionally equivalent, just displayed in different places, the in-window menu is not. An in-window menu can be displayed only when a window is present (thus forcing some tricks for multi-document apps to have tricks, like a floating super-window or closing after the last document closes). It may also need that you get many menus... or that you can't have an app without windows. Thus each application is in the potential need to be adapted and tested and perhaps need "tricks".

You can set thus:
1) set the value "global"
2) set the value per-application
3) use a theme to set the value, global or per-app

lots of choices.

Riccardo