Re: Themes (again)

From: Xavier Brochard
Subject: Re: Themes (again)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 20:47:20 +0200

On 2013-09-27 17:48:22 +0200 Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
On 27 September 2013 16:21, Xavier Brochard <xavier@alternatif.org> wrote:
I mean "like others do" :  release a set of tarball files and a few
instructions to setup.

*Tarballs*? Seriously?!

No. Not tarballs. That is the last thing that we want to be doing. Not
in 2013. In 1993, yes; in 1998, maybe.

it is what other successfull desktop project do (kde, gnome, xfce, ...).

No, any current distro has package management, automatic dependency
resolution, etc. This helps, and tarballs completely break it and
leave a distro that cannot be upgraded or even maintained.

tarballs are for packagers, not for end users

With modest work, it is possible to produce packages that will install
on both Ubuntu and Debian - that would be best of all.

yes, see phillippe's packages.

This would be the first step. That would allow a desktop to be setup by
tweaking current installations done with packages from distribs.

So would actual distro packages.

No. What is missing is a list of things to install (there is no gnustep-desktop package with dependencies) and instructions to setup. Second step would be to automate this.

xavier