Re: Post on the gnustep-make test suite

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Post on the gnustep-make test suite
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 07:08:48 +0000

On 4 Nov 2013, at 15:52, Graham Lee <graham@iamleeg.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wrote up a “how-to” on getting started with writing tests in the gnustep
> suite:
> http://blog.securemacprogramming.com/2013/11/automated-tests-with-the-gnustep-test-framework/
>
> I’d welcome any constructive feedback about it. If the post can usefully be
> part of the official tutorial series (I think that’s Nicola’s area?), I’m
> happy for it to be used in that way.

It looks really good (wish I could write so readably).
Part of may says it should cover more features, but that's probably wrong (it's
a small taste to encourage people, so I guess it needs to be short).

However, the moving to production section does seem a bit less concrete/clear
than the rest, with how to do it being glossed over a bit rather than given
concrete examples as you have done everywhere else.
Perhaps it would be worth giving the example makefile to link with the
production library and include the production headers?

Possibly a (precursor?) stage could be included for cases where the production
code is not in a library: I recently worked with a hack of using #include to
import the production code directly into a test file.

Anyway, it all looks very clear and logically ordered, and it's nice to see
someone else using the test framewokr outside of gnustep itsself.
Thanks.