Re: Ubuntu and Debian packages / 2013-09-27

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Ubuntu and Debian packages / 2013-09-27
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 16:13:03 +0000

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de> wrote:
Am 30.11.2013 13:32, schrieb Ivan Vučica:
> So PPAs can be built on Canonical's build farm? Can you point us to some
> docs?

My mistake, I thought this is common knowledge. Here's the pointer:

https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA

I've last tried to build "proper" Debian packages some 5 years ago, so if I remember the concept of a Debian source package incorrectly, I apologize.

It is my understanding that Philippe has a very custom build procedure, so it is quite possible he's not even producing source packages.

Similarly, rudimentary support for producing .debs that I added into gnustep-make does not produce source packages as such. More specifically, for gnustep-make's  .deb support, I only used "equivs" package, which is good enough to produce a .deb, but almost certainly does not provide source packages as expected by Debian and Ubuntu. (By the way, I opted for this route as it is very close in approach to building a NSIS installer, for which there was existing code in gnustep-make.)
--
Ivan Vučica
ivan@vucica.net