Re: NSOperationQueue thread pool size

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: NSOperationQueue thread pool size
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 09:33:33 +0000

On 5 Feb 2014, at 09:22, Richard Frith-Macdonald
<richardfrithmacdonald@gmail.com> wrote:

> IIRC the only reason is that when I was developing and testing behaviors on
> OSX, the system I was using seemed to run no more than 8 operations at a
> time, so it was a guess at an OSX compatible pool size.  For all I know this
> actually varies between different OSX versions or even for different
> circumstances (I haven't seen any documentation saying what the pool size
> should be).

On the last few releases, NSOperationQueue is built on top of libdispatch, so
the number of threads in the pool will scale based on system load.  On OS X and
iOS, libdispatch is tightly integrated with Cocoa, and I wonder if we should
consider making it a hard dependency for GNUstep now that it's been widely
ported (Apple uses it on Windows, but I don't know if anyone has built it with
MinGW?).

David

-- Sent from my PDP-11