Re: elementary OS

From: Dan Hitt
Subject: Re: elementary OS
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 14:57:17 -0800

On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 1:52 PM, Riccardo Mottola <rm@gnu.org> wrote:

> I take that as a compliment. However, I feel this project as my home, why
> should I change?
> 1) I want to write in one of the languages I like most and in which I write
> I have written applications in the past 12 years
> 2) I want to use a clean API which I have learned to appreciate
> 3) I want to work on recreating, extending and improving an Destkop (nee
> Workspace) that I admire a lot.
>
> What would be the alternatives? Not working in GTK, which is now in its
> third incarnation, gtk3, most terrible than ever... it ruines even Emacs!
> C++? Or those script-interpreted languages?
>
> I would see only a more radical alternative, a parallel project like
> EtoileOS or even a fork.
> But would that increase my user base?

I think these are all good points.

I certainly enjoyed programming in NeXTstep about a zillion years ago.
It was extremely productive and just felt good, along with using the very
integrated OS.

But i think it is also hard to develop without a standard target that you're
developing for, so i hope that EtoileOS becomes an easy alternative,
or is forked into one.

But no matter what, those who do the work are entitled to pursue the
path that in their opinion is best.  So i cannot tell the brave GNUsteppers
what direction to go in.  (And there's at least one GNUstep app that i
use on a regular basis, which is Camera.app, because, imvho, it
is best for its purpose.)

So thanks everybody for your work, and hope that one day i too can
program on a reference platform that uses GNUstep or something else
that has such a nice, logical feel.

dan