Re: Help to compile an opengl shader

From: Germán Arias
Subject: Re: Help to compile an opengl shader
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 03:08:04 +0200

Thanks for the links. Now I see where is the problem.

Germán

Enviar: miércoles 10 de septiembre de 2014 a las 2:00
De: "Thomas Gamper" <icicle@cg.tuwien.ac.at>
Para: "Germán Arias" <germanandre@gmx.es>, GNUstep-discuss <discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>
Asunto: Re: Help to compile an opengl shader
Am 09.09.2014 23:51, schrieb Germán Arias:
> Hi all
>
> I'm newbie with OpenGL, so I'm trying to make a simple app to draw the famous triangle, using shaders and the "modern" opengl (not using glBegin, glEnd, glOrtho, ...). But I'm unable to compile a simple shader. The related code is:
>
> - (BOOL) compileShader: (GLuint *)shader
> type: (GLenum)type
> file: (NSString *)file
> {
> GLint status;
> const GLchar *source;
> int InfoLogLength = 0;
>
> source =
> (GLchar *)[[NSString stringWithContentsOfFile: file
> encoding: NSUTF8StringEncoding
> error: NULL] UTF8String];
> if (!source)
> {
> NSLog(@"Failed to load vertex shader");
> return NO;
> }
>
> *shader = glCreateShader(type);
> glShaderSource(*shader, 1, &source, NULL);
> glCompileShader(*shader);
>
> if (status == GL_TRUE)
> return YES;
> else
> return NO;
> }
>
> The shader files (I copied these from internet):
>
> #version 330 core
>
> // Ouput data
> out vec3 color;
>
> void main()
> {
>
> // Output color = red
> color = vec3(1,0,0);
>
> }
>
> And:
>
> #version 330 core
>
> // Input vertex data, different for all executions of this shader.
> layout(location = 0) in vec3 vertexPosition_modelspace;
>
> void main(){
>
> gl_Position.xyz = vertexPosition_modelspace;
> gl_Position.w = 1.0;
>
> }
>
> Any advice? Thanks
>
> Germán

Hi!

First, be wary what OpenGL version your OpenGL context has been created
with (2.1, 3.x, 4.x), it has effects on what funtionality, functions and
GLSL versions are available. I see you are using GLSL 3.3, sou you need
at least a OpenGL 3.3 context.

Fortunately there are now manpages for all OpenGL main versions online,
they have been of great helpt to me:
http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man2/
http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man3/
http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man4/

I recommend this tutorial if you want to know about OpenGL shader
compilation and associated error logging/handling. It has been written
in the wake of OpenGL 2.0, but it still fits, just stick to OpenGL 2.0
parts in the text.
http://www.lighthouse3d.com/tutorials/glsl-tutorial/

Cheers,
TOM