Re: Phoenix language

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Phoenix language
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 18:22:50 -0400

Dr. Schaller,

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 6:06 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
<hns@computer.org> wrote:

[ snipped.. ]

> I remember some discussion but wasn’t aware that such a decision was taken.

That's because I'm doing it because I am interested in doing it.   I'm
not sure that we needed a discussion or decision by committee on this.
Here was the announcement of our position, which I shared with the
list:

http://heronsperch.blogspot.com/2014/06/gnusteps-position-on-swift.html

> It looks like a “I, GC” project rather than a “we, GNUstep”. So you should not
> be astonished about some reactions here.

Seriously?  And here I was under the impression that when I say
something is for this project, then it is.  What other reason would I
have for doing it?   We have soooo much stuff in our repository, does
it seem appropriate to put a compiler in there as well?  I mean if you
guys think it's appropriate to put it there on top of everything else,
I certainly can if that would make you feel more comfortable.  I know
that it would facilitate people helping me with it as we wouldn't have
to go through the issues of adding people to the repo at
source.ind.ie.

I am, honestly, astonished with how good intentions can be stretched
and distorted by others to be something else.    What I don't
understand, quite frankly, is that when I first joined this project we
were all very much in the spirit of doing things that we enjoyed.
Lately it seems like everyone has to go through committee and I have
to tell you I'm getting very very tired of that approach.  Mainly
because it hasn't worked very well for us.

[snipped]
>> Swift, as I see it, is important for our future.  Also, I wasn't sure
>> if it was a good idea to put it into GNUstep's repo.  I may still put
>> a version of it there if needed.
>
> This makes me even more puzzled. Are there two versions planned?

I can have the same code in two places.   This is not a new concept.

> Anyways it is a good initiative.

Thanks, at least one thing positive here.

> BR,
> Nikolaus

GC
--